Monday, March 23, 2009

Pleasantly Surprised. Somehow.

I'm so used to lambasting the latest film/show/game/etc. that I really don't know how to say that I liked something.

I set down to work on electronics this evening and decided to put on some Hulu in the background. On a whim, I put on Kings and...huh.

It took about five minutes before I realized that I was watching something vaguely Final Fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not referring to magic or giant swords or over-choreographed fights. I've always respected the way the games would drop you in the middle of a new world, not bothering to hand-hold you through exposition. Kings does the same, dropping the viewer into a new world vaguely familiar to the present but absolutely not. And every time you think that you've figured something out, that you've foretold the plot or figured out a character, it hints at another layer.

Unpredictability? Character depth? Opposing ideas and dilemmas without a right answer?

I bet it's canceled in two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment