Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Codex Republica

I think I finally figured out a big part of the disconnect between me and most conservatives.

I don't believe in magic.

No matter what topic we turn to, it always seems that conservatives have some kind of simple, easy, magic answer. Uncontrollable health care costs and rising inequity? The Magic of the Market will control prices, expand coverage and drive medical advancement. Problems with the economy? The Magic of Tax Cuts will cure all ills. Fear attack by terrorists? Why not try a Waterboarding Spell?

Don't even get me started on religion.

But as attractive as all of these solutions seem on the surface, the world is a lot more complex. These are all vastly oversimplified approaches that routinely fail to deliver results in the real world.

It's time to cast off these superstitions. Let's click our heels together* and repeat after me...

There's no such thing as magic
There's no such thing as magic
There's no such thing as magic

*Heel clicking optional

1 comment: