Thursday, July 2, 2009

I Got Your Space Rocks Right Here...

I just came across this article, care of Slashdot. I really don't know what to say.

Universal recently won a bid for the movie rights to Asteroids. This isn't some fancy Asteroids here, this is the 1979 Atari video game whose gameplay pretty much boils down to "turn, fire, repeat." I thought that it had to be a joke, until I found this article in nothing less than the New York Times. How does one even make fun of this?

Do you ask if they plan to shoot it in black and white to be true to the original?

Do you start suggesting casting? I'm thinking they should get Schwarzenegger to play a giant space rock!

Do you debate whether or not they should keep the score in the upper right hand corner?

Or do you simply lament that Universal won a "four-studio bidding war?" That's right: this isn't just one crazy guy at one studio - there were at least four crazy guys with millions of dollars behind them.

Good lord...

Go ahead - post your best one-liners in the comments section. At least we can get a good laugh out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment